Frequently asked questions

Corona questions by nannies & babysitters

Can I continue working despite the corona crisis? And will I get my salary?

Yes, the work of nannies and babysitters is still allowed. If you provided regular childcare for a family and if you are willing to continue with this job, you are still entitled to your salary. Even if your services are less needed at the moment or if no written contract has been signed.

If you decide not to work because you are afraid of falling ill, you will get no salary. In most cases, therefore, it is better to continue with your job. As long as the child and the care person feel healthy, the risk is not disproportionately high. It is important to respect the hygiene recommendations given by the state. Please wash your hands carefully before, during and after the assignment.

Please do not provide childcare if you yourself belong to the Corona risk group (over 65 or with chronic diseases).

As a nanny, do I now have to take holidays because the employer wants me to?

Legally speaking, you decide yourself when to take your holidays. The family cannot require you to take holidays at short notice. This also applies in times of crisis. The holidays are for recreational purposes and you should not be forced to take them. Especially now when, among other things, travel is restricted, it is certainly not the time to take the whole 4 weeks' holidays.

If your work is not needed or desired at the moment, then the family must continue to pay your salary. But of course it is always good to talk to each other and find a solution that is fair for everyone. For example, if you know that a week's holidays would do you good or you want to do a lot of work at home, then tell your employer. They will certainly appreciate it.

Do I get my pay if I’m sick?

In Switzerland, the employer must continue to pay your salary for a certain period of time in the event of illness - whether Covid-19, flu or other illness. This is the case even if no written employment contract has been signed. The Swiss "Obligationenrecht" (Code of Obligations) specifies that the salary must be paid for at least three weeks. In the case of employment relationships lasting several years, the duration for the continuous payment of wages increases. Cantonal "Normalarbeitsverträge" (standard employment contracts) may also provide for a longer period of continued salary payment.

If you do not feel well and do not start work, you should see a doctor. A doctor's certificate is required from the 5th day of illness, otherwise there is no entitlement to a wage. In the current situation, your employer will certainly show understanding if you cancel your work if you feel unwell. It is important to be open and honest so that the employment relationship remains on a sound basis.

I was dismissed without notice because of the corona crisis - is that legal?

No, it's not legal. The family must comply with the notice period agreed in your employment contract (or in the cantonal "Normalarbeitsverträge", standard employment contracts for domestic workers, if no written contract has been signed). Until the end of the notice period, the family must continue to pay the wage, as long as you are still willing to do the work.

You can only be dismissed without notice if you refuse to work (even if the protective and hygiene measures at the place of work have been complied with). If you are young and do not belong to the Corona risk group, there is no disproportionate health risk. So don't simply cancel the work - this could indeed lead to dismissal.

Corona questions by parents

Is it still allowed to hire a stranger for childcare?

The Corona crisis is turning society upside down. We are all urged to minimize our contacts and to look after children ourselves, whenever possible. However, for many parents it is not easy to manage arrangements for work and childcare. Grandparents should no longer look after the children because they belong to the risk group. If there are no crèche or nursery places available, individual care is often the best solution.

The work of nannies and babysitters is therefore still allowed, unlike, for example, running a hairdressing salon. Since young people are usually looking after children, there is no excessive risk to either side. Therefore, it is still allowed to entrust the childcare to a third person if it is simply not possible within the family.

Is it dangerous if I entrust my child to a nanny in the current situation?

Everyone agrees that the Corona virus is not to be taken lightly. All age groups can contract and pass on the virus. The majority of people are not infected. In order to keep it that way, one should avoid additional contacts and, whenever possible, take care of the children oneself. However, there are cases where this is simply not possible, and in such cases, a nanny is an indispensable help.

This is justifiable from a health standpoint: in the unlikely event of an infection, the child may not suffer an outbreak of illness with severe symptoms. Therefore, care for the child itself does not seem dangerous because child carers are usually young people who do not belong to the risk group and are not at risk of developing a serious illness. Nevertheless, the safety measures ordered by the Swiss Confederation (hand hygiene, distance to other people) must of course be observed. If the child or nanny does not feel well, no care should be provided. It is best to clarify this well in advance before every assignment.

Do I have to pay the wage if I cancel the nanny or babysitter?

Looking after children is still a permitted activity. Therefore the rules, rights and obligations of the employment relationship continue to apply. If it was a regular activity (whether on an hourly or monthly wage basis), then the child-carer is basically entitled to do her work. After all, it is not his/her fault that this situation has developed and that no compensation is received from the Swiss State for the lost work.

If you decide not to use the services of the child-carer any more, you have to pay for the lost working hours. The best thing to do is to sit down together and discuss how the situation can best be resolved. Holiday pay or a reduction in working hours can ease the financial burden - but these measures may only be decided by mutual agreement. Especially in the current situation it is important to respect the rights of employees so that the basis for cooperation is still correct afterwards.

It is different for classical babysitting assignments. As they are sporadic and on call, there is no obligation to continue to pay wages. In contrast to the nanny, the loss of wages does not threaten the babysitter's existence.

Under what conditions should childcare not be provided?

The following applies, not only in times of Corona: if the child is sick or ailing, it should not be entrusted to a nanny or babysitter. The same applies if the child carer feels unwell. Before the childcare appointment, get in touch with each other and talk openly about whether all is in the best of health.

If in doubt, cancel the appointment and reorganise yourself. If the parents cannot look after the sick child for professional reasons, the emergency babysitter service of the Red Cross, for example, is available. If strong symptoms show, it is essential to clarify the situation with a doctor.

General questions

I cannot log in or have forgotten my password. What do I need to do?

If you cannot log in:

  • Check whether you have entered your username correctly.
  • Pay attention to lower-case and upper-case letters and check whether caps-lock is on.

If you are still unable to log in, you can request a new password here.

I have registered but have not received an activation e-mail. What do I need to do?

  • The e-mail may be in your spam folder. Look in your e-mail account's spam folder and mark the e-mail as "Not spam".
  • You may have entered your e-mail address incorrectly during the registration process and the e-mail may have been returned to us. Register again and look out for typos!

Is the service subject to a fee?

There are free and fee-based services:

  • For child carers, the service is always free of charge.
  • Parents can also register for free in order to gain a picture of the available child carers. Any subsequent contact is subject to a fee.

Will my data be forwarded to third parties?
No, we treat your data as confidential and do not pass it on. You will not be sent offers from third parties without your express consent.
Why is nobody answering my advertisement?

How complete your profile is can often be the decisive factor. The more complete your profile is, the greater the chance that somebody will contact you.

  • Upload a photograph
  • Fill in your profile to the greatest extent possible
  • Provide more detailed information about yourself and the position to be filled

We also recommend that you answer advertisements yourself.

Why is nobody responding to my messages?

There could be several reasons for this.

  • Not everybody reads their e-mail every day, with some only checking their account once a week.
  • The recipient has already found an appropriate solution and has forgotten to deactivate his or her profile.
  • The recipient is on holiday.
  • Unfortunately the recipient is not sticking to our rules and is leaving messages unanswered.

How can I change my e-mail address?

To change your e-mail address, proceed as follows:

  1. Log in at
  2. Click on your e-mail address in the top right
  3. Select “My account”
  4. Click on “Edit”
  5. Alter your e-mail address and save the change

You will subsequently receive a message with an activation link for the new address.

How can I delete my account?

To delete your account, proceed as follows:

  1. Log in at
  2. Click on your e-mail address in the top right
  3. Select “My account”
  4. Click on “Edit”
  5. Click on the “Delete account” link

Your account has now been completely deleted. You cannot reverse this step.

How can I activate/deactivate e-mail notifications informing me about new members in my area?

To change your notification settings, proceed as follows:

  1. Log in at
  2. Click on your e-mail address in the top right
  3. Select “My account”
  4. Click on “Edit”
  5. Deactivate/activate the option "Please notify me about new members in my area"

Questions from parents

Which means of payment are accepted?
  • Credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express)
  • PayPal
  • Invoice by email for online banking
Why can it take several days for my account to be activated if I have paid my invoice?

Activation is first provided for contact to be made when your payment is received on our bank account. If a weekend falls in between the payment being initiated and the payment being received, this can take up to five days due to the opening and processing times of the bank. To ensure immediate activation, we therefore recommend that you pay via credit card or PayPal.

How much should a babysitter or child carer be paid?
The wage paid is generally a matter for negotiation. Please refer to our wage recommendations in our guide.
Do I need to insure my child carer?
Yes, some insurance cover is mandatory and some is voluntary. You can find information on the topic of insurance topic of insurance in our guide.
What should be considered after initial contact is made?

After initial contact has been established between the parents and babysitter via Babysitting24, there are additional safety precautions which you should observe:

  • When selecting the babysitter, ask for references and certificates.
  • Arrange a "trial session" with your preferred babysitter so that you can check how the babysitter gets on with your child and how he or she deals with your child.
  • Prior to selecting a babysitter, collect references on them and check these with former employers.
  • Talk to the parents of the babysitter if the babysitter has not yet reached the age of majority.
Do I need to terminate my fee-based premium subscription?
No, unlike with other providers there are no subscription traps with us. When your fee-based premium membership expires, it will automatically be converted into a free basic membership. No additional fees will be charged.
I am unable to contact a babysitter. What do I need to do?
It is only possible for parents to contact child carers and vice versa. You may possibly have mistakenly registered as a child carer instead of as a parent.
I cannot find a babysitter in my region. What would you advise?
Try again by changing the criteria for your search. For example, enter a higher value for the maximum distance.
I have mistakenly registered as a babysitter instead of as a parent. What do I need to do now?
In this case, please delete your account and re-register as a parent.

Questions from child carers

What wage can I demand?
The wage paid is generally a matter for negotiation. Please refer to our wage recommendations in our guide.
Do the parents need to take out insurance for me?
Yes, at least accident and liability insurance as well as social insurance from your 17th birthday. Further information can be found in our articles on the topic of insurance in our guide.
What should be considered after initial contact is made?
  • Prior to making an initial visit, clarify that a mother / a father and a child are behind a job offer.
  • Inform your parents, friends or acquaintances that you are going to visit a potential employer for the first time.
  • Babysitters below the age of majority should be accompanied by their parents to an initial interview.
  • Also ask for references, i.e. make contact with the family's old babysitters so that you can gain an impression of the family prior to the first visit.